Monday, May 21, 2007

ARRRR


The name of my lover was beer, so I wrote it in the sky.

Ladies and Gents,

I once saw a plane -- a skywriter! -- scribble across the heavens on a clear day, "Mary Me Marry." I guess it's pretty hard to keep track of your spelling when you're up a few thousand feet. Then it got windy, and the letters blew haywire, to the tune of "Rammy Re Arm" and "Yammer Marr" and "Mama Rearry." The pilot then typed out "ARRRR" and flew off; perhaps he had run out of other letters. But, I mean, somebody paid for that. And I'm guessing that Mary cut that somebody a break, or maybe not. Consider this: Everything was riding on that skywriter, and he didn't really know his ABC's. Meaning that some sucker had to chase another girl. I guess the moral (and the morale) of the story is -- Communicate clearly and simply.

That's easy enough at Drink & Walk, where "Beer" usually comes out "Beer" and "DrinkDrink" usually comes out "DrinkDrink." Join The Board of Directors for another edition of the Happy Hours with the simplest communiques, this Thursday at 6:00, starting at Angles, and then migrating elsewhere if critical mass develops throughout the evening. If you come early enough, you will witness the Drink & Walk skywriter attempting the new D&W song: "I drink a drink // and a skip a drink // and when I skip a drink // I drink a beer."

6 Comments:

Blogger mark wallace said...

If you look up into the sky, I can't rule out that you'll see the words "Emergency Potato Shack" calling you.

11:01 AM

 
Blogger DAN / DANIEL GUTSTEIN said...

I rode, today, on the train that started it all. That MARC ride with The Emergency Tool Box (which still consists of a single tool -- an axe.) To which, someone said, I need The Emergency Budweiser. Which exists, I think, increasingly in Baltimore and less in D.C. Still, what kind of society do we want to live in -- one that puts tools ahead of beer? Think of it. Be it. BA

1:25 PM

 
Blogger mark wallace said...

Well, it's complicated. Out here, we have all sorts of tools, and all sorts of beer. And the tools are often out on the town, getting beer. So I'd say we have a society that puts beer in front of tools, if you see what I mean.

1:42 PM

 
Blogger DAN / DANIEL GUTSTEIN said...

Ah, the beer lures The Tool into the saloon. Tis true. The Tool drinks there, he urinates there, he vomits there, and he professes his love, there, as well, to others of his species. In times of stress, the female of his ilk may even allow him to lie down with her, in times of stress, which are defined as: layoffs, marijuana shortages, regrettable tattoo incidents, and general Tool malaise. I do see what you mean. BA

1:48 PM

 
Blogger mark wallace said...

What's the ratio of tools to beer at your local drinking establishment?

10:57 AM

 
Blogger DAN / DANIEL GUTSTEIN said...

there are at least 10 to 12 beers for every Tool. ba

11:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home